I love a good list, don’t you? I particularly enjoy that sense of satisfaction when I am able to cross something off my list – and fully admit that there are some days when I just need to add little things to the list just so I can feel that accomplishment. Yes, “pack lunches”, that’s done.
We’re about to roll into the Memorial Day holiday weekend, so here is a list just for you, a quick read so you can cross “read the list” off your list. Following are some key new laws that have taken effect here in New York in 2017
- Assistance for the Heroin and Opioid Addiction Epidemic. Four new laws are now in effect, eliminating the need for prior authorization for inpatient treatment, requiring insurers to cover reversal medications (like Naloxone) and also removing prior authorization for emergency medications, and making treatment criteria consistent. https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2015/S8139
- Supporting Veterans. Two new laws extend a tax credit for hiring vets and improve delivery of benefits to veterans and their families. https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/credits/hire_a_veteran_credit.htm https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2015/s7983/amendment/b
- Rate Reductions for Homeowners Insurance. Homeowners who take preparedness and safety classes can qualify for a rate reduction on their homeowners insurance policy. https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/ISC/2346
- Seafood Labeling. You probably want your can of tuna to actually contain tuna. https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2015/s6842/amendment/B
- Auto Repair Shop Disclosure. Repair estimates will have to contain a notice that the insured motorist can use the repair shop of her choice. https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2015/s5639
- Move Over Law. The law was expanded so now additional types of emergency vehicles are included among those for whom drivers must slow down and move over while passing. https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2015/s7938
- Increased Minimum Wage. The phased in increase helps low income workers and protections are built in for certain employers. https://www.labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/wp/LS207.pdf
- Changes to Tax Laws. Various changes to our tax code reduced corporate franchise taxes, gave clean heating fuel tax credits, boosted the 529 College Savings Program, and extended a credit for transportation companies serving individuals with disabilities. https://www.tax.ny.gov/default.htm
Jennifer B. Granzow
Ms. Granzow holds a JD from the Syracuse University College of Law. Her practice is concentrated in the areas of business and corporate law, real estate, economic development, and government relations, with an emphasis on grants and public funding.